Monday, 7 July 2014

My Tour de France - Va Va Zoom!

Tour de France, London, 2014 - photo by E Joseph
"Life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ~~ Ferris Beuller's Day Off
When I heard the Tour de France was passing through London, I wasn't going to miss it.

The last time the Tour was in London (7 years ago) I had to travel all the way to central London to see the race. This time, I discovered they were passing through Epping Forest, which is only a walking distance from where I live. When I arrived, there was a nice atmosphere. Although people were lining the streets, it wasn't overcrowded. The cyclists were late but we were all psyched up for the event and exchanging banter. I even chatted to one of the stewards about the event.

When the cyclists finally arrived, they went by in a few seconds. Talk about va, va zoom! I did try to capture the speed at which they were moving on my phone camera. (See the photo above).

After the cyclists went by, I thought to myself, "Is that it? All that anticipation just for a few seconds."

I guess it depends on how one perceives things.

The Tour de France isn't just a moment in time where you can catch cyclists zooming by, it is the whole process involved of planning, training, anticipation and enjoying the race. Of course, the real battle begins when the cyclists arrive in France for a gruelling three weeks of cycling on different terrains.

So while it is true that my experience of the Tour de France cyclists was pretty fast, I've been able to slow down that moment so I can milk it for all its worth. I not only have photos of the event, I am now blogging about it.

My Tour de France lasts forever.

Enocia

Related articles: Have You Got Time or Has Time Got You?; The Illusory Nature of Time; Milking It for All It's Worth; Loving the Tour de France